It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:48 am

Board index » TSH Public Forum » Support

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:55 am 

Dear administrator and any who can help.
I am a registered user via your Home page and have played Jane's F/A-18 for several years as a single player with all TSH 3.06 etc addons and many other enthusiasts enhancements.
Thank you for so much involved and engaging flying.
Now TSH 4.02 has arrived.
I followed instructions concerning TSH 4.02 download, it recommends a clean install of Jane's F/A-18.
I therefore uninstalled and re-installed Jane's F/A-18.
I then downloaded JSGME, then 4.02, then 4.02 Patch.
All installed successfully.
However I cannot play the game as I get a continual message:
" F/A-18 Simulator has a known compatibility problem with Windows.
For an update that is compatible with Windows, contact Electronic Arts."
I contacted EA but got nowhere on their support site.
My OS is Windows XP Professional updated to SP3 and DirectX 9C.
Thus having attempted to create a 'clean install' I now cannot play the game after all these years.
I have even expounded the merits of TSH & Jane's F/A-18 on the 'Seven-G' website while they work towards their final release. (I am also a member of VNAO flying on their LOMAC adaptation).
Please please help resolve the problem as I am at my wits end over this.
The game is now unaccessable and unplayable.
I just want to get back with you.
Please help resolve the problem
Sincerely 'AceFlyboy'

Last edited by AceFlyboy on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:07 pm 

If you install TSH v4.02, you do not need the patch. The patch is for moving from v4.00 or 4.01 to v4.02.

Please use JSGME to uninstall the TSH v4.02 patch and see if that helps. If you have further problems (I expect you might, because you shouldn't get that error even if you install the patch over a full install of v4.02) keep reading.

The error message comes from the fact that Windows thinks you are flying Jane's F-18 v1.00, not 1.01F. This would happen if JSGME is not installing TSH v4.02 to the correct location. Make sure that the result of your mod extraction is the following folder structure: \FA-18\MODS\TSHv 4.02\F18.exe. If you have that then you can be confident that JSGME has or will install the TSH v4.02 files correctly.

Let me know if your problems continue.

TSHv4 Manual & TSH Add-on Installation Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:40 am 

Dear Joe, thank you very much for your quick response.
I have uninstalled v4.02patch as recommended via JSGME. Perhaps an addition to the download instructions may make it more explicit that it's not required for a straight v4.02 installation.
The error message is a simple error on my behalf, users please be aware.
When re-installing the original Jane's F/A-18 game an option to add a shortcut to desktop is offered. [size=85]However
this is for v1.00. Do not select this option
I did and that initiated the Windows compatibility error messages.(AMENDMENT DATED MAY 18 2009 - DEAR READERS - AFTER THE ADMINISTRATOR'S COMMENT IN THE THREAD REPLY BELOW, PLEASE USE THE ABOVE V1.00 SHORTCUT ICON ! THIS IS DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO THE JANES f18.exe AND IS THE CORRECT ONE TO USE. DO NOT USE THE v4.02 SHORTCUT !) I discovered this from your info.
Via clicking on 'My Computer', Local Disk (C:), Program Files, Jane's Combat Simulations, FA-18, & TSH v4.02, I saw the desktop icon "f18 Jane's FA18
Origin Systems'. Right click on that, left click on Send To Desktop (create shortcut). Come back out to desktop screen, delete the original game icon, click on the replacement one and the game starts successfully in v1.01f.
I then played TRAINING, 'Runway Takeoff' took off ok but when selecting navigation options on the UFC got continually thrown back out to desk top.
I went to options set that up ok but still had same prob with Nav. Did not go to any other selections and shut down.
Next day started up, opened up game, tried TRAINING and was CRASHED TO DESKTOP and Windows error message. In INSTANT ACTION,SINGLE MISSION & CAMPAIGN it is the same.
For Training the Error Signature is:
AppName:f18.exe AppVer:1.0.0.1 Mod Name:f18.exe
ModVer:1.0.0.1 Offset:000f153a
For Instant Action AppName-same,AppVer-same, ModName: wrapper.d11
ModVer-same Offset:000f153a
For Single Mission, ModName:f18.exe & offset: 00153a
For Campaign all same as Single Mission.
As v1.01f is supposed to stop CTD I wonder what is wrong.
V4.02 is installed via JSMGE through a MODS folder I created so all seems ok.
I wonder what else I have done wrong!
Please point me in the right diection to correct these errors.
Thank You and Kind Regards, Joe - you are the 'Ace'.

Last edited by AceFlyboy on Tue May 19, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:40 am 

AceFlyboy wrote:
Dear Joe, thank you very much for your quick response.
I have uninstalled v4.02patch as recommended via JSGME. Perhaps an addition to the download instructions may make it more explicit that it's not required for a straight v4.02 installation.
I have modified the file description a bit in the hopes of making this clearer.

Quote:
The error message is a simple error on my behalf, users please be aware.
When re-installing the original Jane's F/A-18 game an option to add a shortcut to desktop is offered. However this is for v1.00. Do not select this option.
I did and that initiated the Windows compatibility error messages.
I discovered this from your info.
Via clicking on 'My Computer', Local Disk (C:), Program Files, Jane's Combat Simulations, FA-18, & TSH v4.02, I saw the desktop icon "f18 Jane's FA18 Origin Systems'. Right click on that, left click on Send To Desktop (create shortcut). Come back out to desktop screen, delete the original game icon, click on the replacement one and the game starts successfully in v1.01f.
Something is strange about that description. The shortcut is simply a shortcut to \FA-18\F18.exe. The F18.exe file is modified when you install TSH v4, and thus the shortcut points to this modified file. I use the desktop shortcut installed via the CD to start my TSH-modified JF-18 and everything works fine.

Quote:
I then played TRAINING, 'Runway Takeoff' took off ok but when selecting navigation options on the UFC got continually thrown back out to desk top.
I went to options set that up ok but still had same prob with Nav. Did not go to any other selections and shut down.
Next day started up, opened up game, tried TRAINING and was CRASHED TO DESKTOP and Windows error message. In INSTANT ACTION,SINGLE MISSION & CAMPAIGN it is the same.
There are a few things you can try to correct this. First, are you running JF-18 as an administrator? Did you install it as an administrator? You can also try playing with the priority settings in the TSH Manager.

As a side note, paragraph breaks in your posts would make them a lot easier to read.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:11 am 

Dear Joe, my latest update.
After the first re-install (from above posts) I went into all the JF18 files on my system. I deleted v3.06, v2.01, v1.01F and anything not to do with the original game that was still left in there like all addons & extra downloads).
I then uninstalled JF18, JSGME but not my v4.02 file. (It took over an hour to download!) That was moved to My Documents.
I even used Search to find anything JF18 left on my C Drive.
Deleted or made absolutely sure nothing was left in.
I installed JF18 again using Compatibility Program for Win 98.
Created a 'MODS' file in the JF18 game file.
Downloaded JSGME again and saved it to the JF18 file.
Then moved v4.02 to JF18 MODS file.
Opened JSGME, installed it, and it then using MOD facility clicked > to attach it to JF18 and came out.
Still using the v4.02 Janes FA18 desktop icon I started the game.
After reading advice from 323 Rattlers website, certain screens should appear on game start with v4.02 loaded.
They did and the game started with the all new v4.02 TSH opening screen and 'Ten Year' celebration screen.
Went to Options, set up, and tried Training, v1.01F appeared on the mission opening wrapper - started a training mission but CTD occurred again. Windows error message etc, so sent info to them.
Will try using original JF18 desktop icon first, if that does not work will use JSGME Mod to pull v4.02 back, delete v4.02, download a new version and try again.

Last edited by AceFlyboy on Sat May 09, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:42 pm 

You still didn't say if you were installing and running the program as an administrator. This could be a video driver problem as well.

It sounds like your installation process is correct.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:08 pm 

Ok thanks Joe, will check if I am running prog as administrator, however don't know of what significance that actually is.
Video driver prob with a GeForce 8800GT? Never had probs with JF18 in v3.06. Will get back in 8/9 days.
If you've any ideas to help I will be grateful.
Cheers M8.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:36 pm 

AceFlyboy wrote:
Ok thanks Joe, will check if I am running prog as administrator, however don't know of what significance that actually is.
It's kind of a fix-all for Vista.

Quote:
Video driver prob with a GeForce 8800GT? Never had probs with JF18 in v3.06.
That's what makes this so strange. Very little has changed from TSH v3.06 to TSH v4.02...

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 11:42 am 

Hi Joe. Didn't look for administrator as am on XP Pro and never went anywhere near that kind of Vista thing.
I deleted the v4.02 desktop shortcut, substituted it with the game cd shortcut.
With this shortcut the game Training, Mission and Campaign all work.
However selection of Instant Action and attempt to play creates CTD and error message.
It's getting better.
Like I said will get back 8/9 days, delete current v4.02, download another v4.02, install and try again to see if there is corruption of the download. Thanks for all your help.
It shows just how much on the ball you are. Well done Sir.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:03 am 

Sorry, thought you were using Vista. Must be someone else from another thread.

If you are having different results from shortcut weirdness, I would suggest just running F18.exe directly from your \FA-18 folder, to make sure that's not part of the problem.

Board index » TSH Public Forum » Support